The European People’s Party (EPP) Group published an article titled “Be better prepared for the next pandemic”. Please, note that MEP Stelios Kympouropoulos (Greece) and MEP Tomislav Sokol (Croatia), who have collaborated with EAMBES, are both members of the EPP Group.
- The article highlights important aspects of the recently adopted report on the COVID-19 pandemic, drafted by the COVI Committee of the European Parliament. The ultimate goal of the report is to be better prepared to support vulnerable populations, protect healthcare professionals, preserve the economy and employment, and uphold civil rights in the face of future pandemics.
- Given that the report sets the priorities for enhancing EU’s pandemic preparedness and response capacities, its recommendations will impact all stakeholders working on healthcare.
- The report, drafted by MEP Dolors Montserrat (EPP, Spain), highlights the importance of increasing Europe’s production capacity for medicines and medical equipment, while also advocating for diversifying the global supply chain and improving coordination of national health strategies.
- The report emphasizes the EU’s leadership in vaccine development, calling for more investment in health research and local production. It recommends a limited waiver of Intellectual Property rules during the pandemic, acknowledging the importance of striking a balance between intellectual property protection and health innovation.
- The report also seeks transparency in vaccine procurement, aiming to negotiate more favourable conditions in future contracts and disclose vaccine contracts when legally possible.
- At the national level, the report proposes stress tests to enhance healthcare system resilience and urges a holistic approach to pandemic prevention and response, including cross-sectoral prevention programs to promote healthy lifestyles and reduce risk factors.